12 Jan Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
I get so many requests for this potato soup recipe so I thought I would share it again. It would taste so good during this very cold winter weekend.
CREAMY POTATO SOUP
• 6 cups peeled and diced Russet potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes. Dice into small cubes about 3/4-inch)
• 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium
• 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 cups milk
• 1/2 cup half and half
• 1/3 cup of heavy cream
• 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Combine diced potatoes and onions with chicken broth in a large stockpot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cover pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (it will take about 10 minutes to reach a boil). Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook about 15 – 20 minutes longer until potatoes are very soft when pierced with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook for 1 minute while whisking constantly. While whisking, slowly add milk, half and half and heavy cream and cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to lightly bubble and thicken.
4. Once potatoes are soft, add thickened milk mixture to potato soup mixture and stir (potatoes should start breaking down into soup, if not cook a few minutes longer). Add sour cream and mix well.
5. Ladle soup into serving bowls, top each serving with bacon or ham, cheddar cheese and green onions (Note that the soup will thicken as it rests so if you happen to have leftovers you can thin with a little water or milk).
*If you want to leave out the half and half and heavy cream, add another ½ cup of whole milk instead.