14 Feb Weekend Recipe:Cajun Kidney Bean Chili
Wanda’s Wandaful Weekend “Wecipes”!
Cajun Kidney Bean Chili
This tasty, easy-to-prepare version of chili is a great addition to your Healthiest Way of Eating. Beans are a good source of health-promoting dietary fiber as well as a meatless source of protein. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
· 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
· 1 medium yellow or red bell pepper, diced
· 3 cloves garlic, pressed
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 TBS chili powder
· 1/2 tsp dried thyme
· 1/2 tsp dried oregano
· 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
· 2 cups cooked or 1 15 oz can (no BPA) kidney beans
· 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
· Salt, pepper and olive oil to taste
· Optional: cooked ground turkey
- Chop onion and press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes tobring out their hidden health benefits.
- Healthy Sautéonion and bell peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, spices, tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and olive oil.